Thursday, October 1, 2009

Time Of My Life




Over our anniversary trip, I finished Time of My Life, a book I have been working through for quite a long time.  I picked it up on a whim at the bookstore with a gift card.  It is the first book I have bought that I received no recommendation about.  But look at the pretty cover??  How could I not pick it up??  I literally just read the back cover and thought, "That sounds interesting!  I'll take it!"  Wouldn't you think the same thing??
Jillian has what seems to be a perfect life—a beautiful house in the suburbs, a loving husband, and an adorable baby girl. But she also has a nagging feeling that something isn't quite right. Could it have something to do with Jackson, her past boyfriend, who couldn't be more different than her solid, stable, and perfectly predictable husband, Henry? One morning, Jillian wakes up seven years in the past, in bed with Jackson, and she has the chance to live her life again—a do over, complete with the knowledge of what her future will become. Will she still quit her job right on the cusp of making it big? Will she run for the hills when she meets Henry or be drawn to him again? Or will Jackson's easygoing, wild lifestyle pull her back from her future baby, the adorable Katie? So many life choices come at Jillian, and she can go forward as she pleases, knowing the outcome of one direction. If you've ever wanted your own do over, this cute, light read by a debut novelist will keep you guessing 'til the end.

Well, this book did not keep me guessing until the end.

I picked it as my next read out of the 20 or so books I have laying around because it was the shortest.  I wanted something I could get through quickly and then move onto a longer, more difficult read.  Wrong!  This book took me forever.  I really never got into it like I thought I would. 

And it was far from a cute, light read.  I never found anything funny about it, which is fine, but it just wasn't what I expected.  Jillian had some serious issues to tackle with herself in both of her lives and it was obvious from the beginning that she was the problem and not the men in her life.  Duh. 

I did relate to her though.  She had the life I want:  husband, baby girl, house in the suburbs, being a stay at home super mom. Yet she wasn't happy with it.  She assumed she would be, but she wasn't.  It made me think, will I be happy and fulfilled with those things?  Thankfully, I don't see myself reacting to situations the way she did.  She had a lot of baggage from her past that I don't which definitely fed into her attitude. 

But, I will say that once I actually sat down and forced myself to read it for more than 10 minutes, it moved quickly.  I wouldn't recommend running out and buying it right away....but if you see it at the library or at the bookstore for $1...and you have nothing else to read...go for it :)

I'm hoping my next read is more satisfying!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been reading you for about a month, but I just started my own blog, so now I can comment, finally. =]
I actually ALMOST bought this book last night, and put it down for something else at the last minute. Now I'm pretty glad I did.

=]

5th Belle Avenue said...

I love this post!! What a great lesson about appreciating where you are in your life, no matter what your circumstances are. The grass is always greener on the other side, so might as well enjoy what is in front of you! I don't think I would react that way either. Must have been a good read to atleast bring yourself to that realization!

Dollface said...

This is something I want to read to... think about a lending library! I'd love to swap books... xxxooo

Amanda Marvin said...

I just finished reading The Wednesday Letters by Mitch Albom. I picked the book for the same reason you did. Its a quick read and a really good story. Mitch Albom also wrote The 5 people you meet in Heaven and thats worth it too.

Tiffany Havard said...

I just started reading you! But I am so glad you posted this, I was considering this for a college book report, Im thinking more along the line of "The Last Lecture" now though. Have any comments about that book? and I agree with Amanda "The 5 People You Meet In Heaven" is a great read!

The Blushing Hostess said...

I admire your stamina, once i have to force myself to read it, its over in a page or two and off to the donations pile!

Lucy Marie said...

I probably would have given up on it. I'm not one to finish books I'm not into. But I'll remember this if I ever see it in a bookstore

Sonja said...

You have a little something something on my blog :o) haha

& I'll be coming back to read your post! I haven't caught up on anything! But I'm interested in what this is about because I've been eyeing that book!! :)