Tuesday, February 24, 2009

OCD or Working with Children??

My job: I am currently working as a lab technician for a company just south of Cleveland. Our particular branch specializes in making parts for military jet engines (this sounds way more important than it actually is!). My role is testing these parts before they are shipped to our customers in order to make sure they meet the specifications. Everyday, parts are submitted to the lab by placing them in a yellow bin outside the door.

One day, as I was walking through the shop to grab some ice from the freezer, I stopped off to close a door that had a sign on it reading, "This door must remain closed." I do this daily. I don't get irritated by the fact that I have to do it everyday, it's just something that I notice so I close the door. With me, everything has to have it's place. I realize that other people are not like that so I try not to let it bother me, I just move things to where I think they should be.

Well, this guy saw me close this door and we got to talking about my small case of OCD. Apparently this is now my "thing." Everyone in the lab has a thing...Kevin tells bad jokes....Andre is a germaphobe...and now...I'm OCD. I happened to mention (wishing this very second that I didn't open my huge, big mouth) that I especially hate when the yellow bin outside the lab is not straight. I like it a certain way so I can see through the door if there is something in it without having to actually go outside. Well, let me tell you...I think everyone in the whole plant knows this now and moves it every chance they get. Today I moved it back, and 5 minutes later it was moved again. I'm starting to get annoyed.

Overreacting....or working with morons who actually think this is funny?? I know what I think....

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

That would annoy me too! I have a bit OCD too about things being shut - I can't eat dinner if my husband forgot to close a kitchen cabinet, I need to close it first!

Shaina said...

Thanks for saying hi!! Yay midwest. :) I don't know where Speedway is - but I'm still new to Indiana - still learning!

Island Girl said...

It would be funny the first time, maybe the second, but after that it's like "grow up"! I have that problem when I'm in a store and I decide at the last minute I don't want something I HAVE to take it back where it came from, even if it's all the way across the store...I can't help it, everything has a place! (and if I'm being honest, sometimes I'll take things back even if I didn't lay them down myself)

Mandy Rose said...

Oh that is pretty funny! I am slightly OCD too so I can totally relate! At least the people you work with know how to have fun.